Saturday, April 19, 2008

Tanzania: Mt. Meru Orphanage

Volunteering at the orphanage in Mt. Meru is one of my favorite things to do. I am still not comfortable taking these kind of photos, because I would never want the vulnerable to feel exploited, but these kids are absolutely adorable. While they don't live under best possible circumstances, the orpahnage is very clean and filled with genuine love. The children are very sweet and the mamas really nice. Many local villagers visit the orphanage daily, especially the teenage kids. The children are well behaved and love by everyone. There is even a hospital and school on the premises. The lush village is beautiful. There are coffee and fruit plantations, the masai community is active in this region, and spectacular views of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I fell in love with the little boy in the photo above. He reminds me of myself sometimes. He is a very loving and a happy little boy. Always smiling. I was very sad to leave him behind. Thank Christ for You tube! My wishes are to adopt him, but in the meantime I can't wait until my next visit which will happen very soon.

Happy times! click to enlarge
Posted by Picasa